Augusto Magnaghi

/Augusto Magnaghi

Designers

Meet the cool designers
magnaghi-Custom

Augusto Magnaghi

1905-1977
Milan, 1920-1989

A leading exponent of Rationalism during the 1930s, Albini designs several housing projects with Milan’s Institute of People’s Housing, in full step with the European avant-gardes. The relationship between architecture and history is the theme in his architecture after WWII, evident in his Pirovano Refuge in Cervinia (1949) and Rome’s Rinascente Department Store (1957). Albini is considered one of the most innovative exhibition designers at various editions of Milan’s Triennial exhibition, the Palazzo Rosso and Palazzo Bianco museums, and The Treasury of San Lorenzo (1952, with Franca Helg). His constant attention to technical consistency emerges in his Milan Subway Stations (1962) and in his furniture design for Poggi. His chair Luisa won the 1955 Golden Compass Award and has been reissued by Cassina.

<< Back